Updating Git Submodule Fails
I am trying to clone a git repo that contains submodules onto a Namecheap shared server using SSH. The ‘git clone’ command worked fine, except that one of my submodules failed. When I try to run ‘git submodule update’ it fails as well. I get the error;
github.com[0: 126.96.36.199]: errno=Connection timed out fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection timed out) Clone of 'git://github.com/WordPress/Wordpress.git' into submodule path 'wordpress' failed
I tried contacting Namecheap to see if there was a Firewall or something blocking the connection. They said there is no firewall that would be blocking this. Also, all of my other submodules on GitHub updated fine. Regardless, I tried using the https protocol instead and still had no luck.
- Git push : Permission denied to user, could not read from remote repository
- Jenkins: running build does not provision docker slave
- Host verification failed error when running git clone inside dockerfile on AWS EC2 instance as host and a private git repository
- Stack trace:\sshd.exe: *** fatal error - could not load u, Win32 error 1114,COPSSH GIT TORTOISEGIT
- force Git to create the ssh-key in the directory directory
- Commands handled by git-shell on prompt don't do anything (just hangs)
Any ideas what is going on?
2 Solutions collect form web for “Updating Git Submodule Fails”
In general, a “
errno=Connection timed out” should indicate an issue on the GitHub side (their status report page indicates they had a few issue on the 21st and 20th of September)
So unless the issue still persists (in which case, the root cause might be on your side), GitHub should have resolved it by now.
You could specify to use https:// instead of git:// for GitHub with the following command:
git config --global url."https://github".insteadOf git://github