SSH key generation for GIT on Windows 8
I am trying to generate a new SSH key on my windows computer using command prompt.
I have installed Cygwin and added its path to use linux commands through command prompt.
Now ls is listing me the inner folders.
But ssh is still nor working.
- Git Bash (1.9.0) using Windows Explorer intergration crashes folder explorer
- Cannot `git rm` A Previously Tracked File
- Windows 8 Composer Install from private repository
- How to remove/hide GitExtensions toolbar from Visual Studio?
- Git couldn't resolve proxy
- Strange git error
On trying to generate SSH key using the command
ssh-keygen -t rsa -C “email_id”
its giving me a following error.
ssh-keygen is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
One Solution collect form web for “SSH key generation for GIT on Windows 8”
No need for cygwin: a regular msysgit is enough (unzip
PortableGit-1.9.5-preview20141217.7z anywhere you want, add its
bin/ folder to your path and you have
git and ssh including
Once you have launched its
git-cmd.bat, you can generate your ssh keys.
ssh-keygen -t rsa -C "email_id" -q -P ""
(here I don’t use a passphrase, for testing purposes, avoiding the ssh-agent management)
id_rsa.pub will be generated in
HOME is set by the
git-cmd.bat, usually in