Restoring deleted submodules
Suppose that I have a submodule
dir1/dir2 (created via the steps shown below). How do I restore the submodule
dir2 after having deleted it?
git submodule update complains that the submodule does not exist, and
git reset HEAD --hard restores
dir2 but not its contents. I am creating the submodule in the following way :
- How to discard change to git submodule?
- Git submodules vs Nuget packages
- Is there a way to make git pull automatically update submodules?
- Is it possible to make git aware of an existing gitmodules file?
- Git manage submodule on branch?
- git status gives me an error: bad index file sha1 signature
mkdir dir1 cd dir1/ mkdir dir2 cd dir2/ touch 1.txt git init git add 1.txt git commit -m "test" cd .. git init git submodule add ./dir2/ git commit -m "adding submodule" rm -r dir2 **** Now how do I restore dir2 and its contents? ****
One Solution collect form web for “Restoring deleted submodules”
Initializing a git repo within
cd dir2; git init) doesn’t make
dir2 a submodule.
It just make
dir2 a nested repo which will be ignored by any parent repo.
dir2 means you have no direct way to retrieve its content.
You could have done
git submodule add /another/path/dir2, with
dir2 a repo outside of
Then it would have been possible to restore