Remote Git Repository in document root
Im trying to use git for my website. The website is on our webserver.
mkdir /home/website/public_html cd /home/website/public_html git --bare init
Then I go to the local machine and change into the directory where I have my files
- Git Branch is not a remote Branch in Stash
- How to set a Java remote developer environment in Eclipse
- How to run git command remotely?
- Git Push from local repo to remote repo on a server for wordpress deployment
- git operations on remote repository without local clone
- Remove a file from a Git repository without deleting it from the local filesystem
git remote rm origin git remote add origin email@example.com:/home/website/public_html git push origin master Enter passphrase for key '/c/Users/git/.ssh/id_rsa': Counting objects: 6, done. Delta compression using up to 8 threads. Compressing objects: 100% (3/3), done. Writing objects: 100% (6/6), 460 bytes, done. Total 6 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0) To firstname.lastname@example.org:/home/website/public_html * [new branch] master -> master
But now when I got to my back to my server:
ls /home/website/public_html branches config description HEAD hooks info objects refs
Where are my files I pushed to the server? Am I going about this the wrong way? (the only thing in the local folder I pushed from was a readme)
2 Solutions collect form web for “Remote Git Repository in document root”
You have created a bare repository on the server. Bare repositories do not have a working area.
I assume you are trying to use Git for website publishing? See this link for one option. In short:
- You create 2 repositories on the server. One is a bare repository, just like the one you have already created, but it’s outside of the public_html directory
- Other is a normal repository inside the public_html directory
- You create a post-receive hook that updates the repository inside the public_html directory whenever you push to the bare repository
You have to clone your repository that you created with git –bare init. See git clone.
For example :
1) create a repository with git –bare init in a folder on your server
2) clone that repository somewhere where you want to work with like public_html
3) after you add something new in your clone folder, use:
git add . git commit -a -m" message for commit " git push origin master
And to get the code from your repository use:
git pull origin master
and that will merge the code from repository with your local branch