opening .git/config : Permission denied
C:\Users\Inspiron\.git\config folder is empty and command
$git config user.email firstname.lastname@example.org returns error: opening .git/config: permission denied.
I try to set post buffer size,but get same error.
- GIT: Why do I need to solve my merge conflicts twice when using rebase?
- How do I update my local branch of forked repo
- Fast-forwarding and rebase in git
- How to push a single file in a subdirectory to Github (not master)
- How do I manage two very similar websites with single Git repository?
- Difference between “(no branch)” and “(detached at abc1234)”
4 Solutions collect form web for “opening .git/config : Permission denied”
Thats not a folder its the main configuration file for git.
Here you can see the files for configuration
Permission denied under windows its a bit strange. Check the permissions of the file. Perhaps you have removed the Permissions in the extended permissions.
I’m pretty sure it’s not supposed to be a folder. Delete it and let git create it.
Check Windows Security Properties
On Windows 7, I was only able to fix this by right clicking on the file in explorer, clicking properties/security tab/advanced/permissions and removing the ‘deny’ permission type. chmod and chown did nothing for me.
.git/config is a file, but its permission must soon (Git 2.0.X/2.1, Q3 2014) not include “world writable”.
See commit daa22c6 by Eric Wong
config: preserve config file permissions on edits
Users may already store sensitive data such as
.git/config; making the file world-readable when “
git config” is called to edit means their password would be compromised on a shared system.