Is it possible to edit source files while push is in progress?
Is it possible to edit source files while push is in progress? Why or why not?
- Why do I have to resolve the same conflict over and over?
- Git log output to XML, JSON, or YAML?
- launch sublime text 3 from git (windows 10)
- How can I use gitolite to limit developers to development branch only:
- Git: merge hides certain changes
- Git(hub) forking own repo - pull requests
2 Solutions collect form web for “Is it possible to edit source files while push is in progress?”
You can. Push pushes commits, trees and blobs from the object database, not files.
Pull, on the other hand, not only fetches objects into object database but also updates files. So avoid editing while pulling.
When you do a
git push, it is the contents of the stage which is getting pushed. But that contents has already been committed, so really the commit is what is getting pushed. Therefore, editing source files might make your working directory dirty, but it would not affect the stage, certainly would not affect any commits, and therefore could not affect the push.