Install Git Client on OS X without admin rights
I need to run a git client on an OS X 10.6.6 machine to which I don’t have admin rights.
Now unfortunately, the installer from http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/ has no option for a local install, so it just doesn’t work without having an admin account.
- Locate Git installation folder on Mac OS X
- How do you configure Github Desktop to run from the command line in OSX?
- Git: Deleted current branch and lost reflog
- Unable to add Git repository hosted on OS X Server
- Cannot commit the line `Subproject commit`
- Multiple git account doesn't work with Xcode
What is the fastest / easiest way to install git, e.g. in
Note: While I can download zip archives from GitHub (from which my projects come), I need to be able to quickly pull new commits, so this is not an option.
Fink has no binary for OS X 10.6, and the MacPorts installer doesn’t work either without admin rights.
2 Solutions collect form web for “Install Git Client on OS X without admin rights”
Download Git source code and compile.
./configure --prefix=$HOME/local make make install
.bashrc or whatever to change
I’d use homebrew to install git as a local user. That’s a whole lot easier to update and gives you the chance to use the whole infrastructure to install even more goodies.