GitHub – why two lines are marked as different without any visible differences?
commit cba438 on Github.
As you can see line #1 in index.html is marked as changed:
- How do you publish a typescript website to GitHub Pages using Visual Studio?
- Git setup on mac (ERROR: “-bash: git: command not found”)
- Merging two completely different repositories
- commiting to git repo from a second machine
- Rails - how to start up a local server (thin) with a specific git branch
- Unique git url for github repo with multiple branches?
But as I can see there’s no single changed character. Is it up to GitHub or Git? Is it a bug or some hidden character was changed?
2 Solutions collect form web for “GitHub – why two lines are marked as different without any visible differences?”
Yes, there is a hidden character there, a UTF8 BOM.
$ git show cba438:index.html | od -c | head -1 0000000 357 273 277 < ! d o c t y p e h t m $ git show cba438~1:index.html | od -c | head -1 0000000 < ! d o c t y p e h t m l > \n
Related SO question: What’s different between UTF-8 and UTF-8 without BOM?
Looks like a whitespace at the end of the deleted line.