git submodule sync doesn't work
I’m trying to change the remote on a submodule as per these instructions.
After modifying and saving
.gitmodules, then doing
git submodule sync my submodule hasn’t changed, though my
.git/config file has been updated to match the new remote url in
I’ve also tried
git submodule sync --recursive, and doing
rm -rf .git/modules/<mySubmodule> as per this tip without any difference. In fact, running the latter command then
git submodule sync again gives
fatal: Not a git repository: ../.git/modules/<mySubmodule>. Any tips?
I initially added the submodule to the project via
git submodule add git://<mySubmodule-url> as per the git docs.
I’ve even updated git via homebrew to v2.1.1, still nothing. I’ve also tried starting completely from scratch, and even switching between two completely different submodules but I’m still getting the same results. In sum:
$> mkdir myRepo $> cd myRepo myRepo$> git init . myRepo$> git submodule add https://<path/to/my/repo>.git myRepo$> vim .gitmodules # change submodule url to https://<path/to/another/repo>.git myRepo$> git submodule sync # updates my .git/config file with the new submodule url, but all my files in the submodule are still from the old url myRepo$> git submodule sync --recursive # doesn't do anything myRepo$> git submodule update --init --recursive # doesn't do anything either myRepo$> rm -rf .git/modules/<mySubmodule> # tip from SO comment linked above myRepo$> git submodule sync fatal: Not a git repository: ../.git/modules/<mySubmodule>
One Solution collect form web for “git submodule sync doesn't work”
That does seem to be annoying. Not ideal, but the following seems to work for me
git submodule foreach git pull --rebase