Git problem with interactive rebase
This is basically what happens:
> git rebase -i HEAD~3 Successfully rebased and updated refs/heads/master.
Pops open my text editor then immediately “completes” the rebase before I even have the chance to do anything. Anyone know what might be causing this?
- Git post-update hook cannot pull
- git- strange characters in output (msys-git)
- Differences between Git-scm, msysGit & Git for Windows
- After updating Git Bash on Windows, still shows older version
- git cherry-pick succeeds but shows worktree as dirty due to eol mismatch
- Stage untracked files for commit without staging tracked file changes
I’m using msysgit on Windows 7: git version 188.8.131.52.msysgit.0
3 Solutions collect form web for “Git problem with interactive rebase”
This is probably because Git expects that the text editor will stop and wait until you have finished editing before continuing. Your text editor could start up in such a way that it appears that it immediately finished as far as Git can see.
You could try setting the
EDITOR environment variable to point to a batch file that does something like:
start /wait my_editor %*
(but this is just a guess and I’m not in a situation to test it right now).
Solved, related to the editor variable in git-config:
How do I use Notepad++ (or other) with msysgit?
I use Atom – and was getting the same problem.
git config --global core.editor "atom --wait"
…fixed it for me straight away.
More info about setting up different code editors can be found here: