Git: “could not read from remote repository”, when remote is another local repo
I’m working in my local copy of a repository
AAA, and I have added another local repository
BBB as a remote
Specifically, I’ve tried adding it with each of
git remote add bbb ../../Path/to/BBB git remote add bbb ../../Path/to/BBB/ git remote add bbb ../../Path/to/BBB/.git
However, with any of those, when I issue
- Does git branch -m have side effects for other developers?
- How can I trigger jenkins build on merging github branches?
- Merge disjoint branches with git
- Why does Git say my master branch is “already up to date” even though it is not?
- git: share the work of merging two branches
- bitbucket unable to merge, this field is required
git fetch bbb
it fails with error message
fatal: '../../Path/to/BBB' does not appear to be a git repository fatal: Could not read from remote repository. Please make sure you have the correct access rights and the repository exists.
The given path really is the root directory of a repository: if I issue
cd ../../Path/to/BBB git status
git quite happily tells me about the status there. What could I be doing wrong?
(Background: I’m following the instructions in this answer for merging BBB into AAA.)