Force an SVN checkout command to overwrite current files
I’m adding an existing site to SVN.
The files already exist on the webserver, and now identical copies (- configuration files) exist in the repository.
- VIM - Passing colon-commands list via command-line
- What happens if I add a symbolic link to subversion?
- A “Git” like workflow using Subversion?
- How best to handle Git Deployment For multiple web servers
- Commit only property changes on root of repo, not files
- How to maintain “Ignore/handle subsequent exceptions” breakpoints between developers?
I want to convert the webserver directory into an SVN working copy, but when I run:
svn checkout http://path.to/svn/repo/httpdocs .
I get the error:
svn: Failed to add file ”: object of the same name already exists
How do I tell SVN to just overwrite those files whose contents are the same?
5 Solutions collect form web for “Force an SVN checkout command to overwrite current files”
svn help checkout gives the details.
svn checkout --force svn://repo website.dir
svn revert -R website.dir
Will check out on top of existing files in website.dir, but not overwrite them. Then the revert will overwrite them. This way you do not need to take the site down to complete it.
This can be done pretty easily. All I did was move the existing directory, not under version control, to a temporary directory. Then I checked out the SVN version to my correct directory name, copied the files from the temporary directory into the SVN directory, and reverted the files in the SVN directory. If that does not make sense there is an example below:
/usr/local/www mv www temp_www svn co http://www.yourrepo.com/therepo www cp -pR ./temp_www/* ./www svn revert -R ./www/* svn update
I hope this helps and am not sure why just a simple SVN update did not change the files back?
I did not have 1.5 available to me, because I am not in control of the computer. The file that was causing me a problem happened to be a .jar file in the lib directory. Here is what I did to solve the problem:
rm -rf lib svn up
This builds on Ned’s answer. That is: I just removed the sub directory that was causing me a problem rather than the entire repository.
Pull from the repository to a new directory, then rename the old one to
old_crufty, and the new one to
my_real_webserver_directory, and you’re good to go.
If your intention is that every single file is in SVN, then this is a good way to test your theory. If your intention is that some files are not in SVN, then use Brian’s copy/paste technique.