Changing the language for Subversion error messages

For some reason, subversion is returning me error messages in what I think is German:

# svn up . 
svn: Zielpfad existiert nicht

Unfortunately, I don’t know that language… Before I resort to using a online translation engine to work with this, I figured I’d try to fix it. I figure I’m just doing something very simple wrong. I’m running subversion 1.6.4 installed via yum on centos (upgraded from 1.4.something that was having the same problem). This is on a VPS admined with CPanel.

From what I can tell, it’s trying to load english messages and failing. I see this in the strace output:

open("/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/subversion.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/subversion.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
brk(0x4106d000)                         = 0x4106d000
open("/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Normal SVN commands are in english (svn help, svn help up, etc), just the error messages are in german. For all I know, it’s been this way the whole time I’ve used the machine and I’ve just never gotten an error message from Subversion…

:: locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES=en_US
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=

I’ve also run:

export LC_MESSAGES=en_US
export LANG=en_US

Any ideas what I should be looking at next?

Update:
Based on Phil’s suggestion, I’ve run

export LANG=C
export LC_MESSAGES=C

and now locale outputs:

LANG=C
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_PAPER="C"
LC_NAME="C"
LC_ADDRESS="C"
LC_TELEPHONE="C"
LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
LC_ALL=

And it still is giving german messages… I’m beginning to think the version of subversion I have was compiled with German messages, and since it’s not finding any language-specific message files, I’m getting the built-in German messages. Now to figure out how that happened….

  • Access older revision of SVN repo via HTTP / mod_svn
  • SVN pre-commit hook to ensure all files referenced in .csproj are versioned?
  • Need a GUI based deployment solution for .net
  • SVN Does not Store Password nor Username
  • Executing SVN cleanup from command prompt
  • What are the differences between GIT and SVN when it comes to merge conflicts solving
  • SubGit error when svn users commit
  • Commit symlink into subversion
  • 3 Solutions collect form web for “Changing the language for Subversion error messages”

    Try setting those locale variables to “C”. That means that nothing should be passed through any translation engine.

    export LANG=C
    export LC_MESSAGES=C
    

    that should be enough. If it’s still throwing German at you, I think maybe I’d start questioning how you installed Subversion.

    If you are having this issue in Windows, it’s likely that your system code page is set to a language other than english. In windows, the subversion.mo files are stored at:
    “c:\Program Files\Subversion\share\locale”
    possibly “c:\Program Files (x86)” if you’re on a 64 bit system.
    If you rename the language it’s displaying it now, subversion should default back to english.

    We had the same problem. We put on the .bashrc

    export LANG=en_US
    

    and it worked.

    Git Baby is a git and github fan, let's start git clone.