Can I have git gui and git bash and eclipse git plugin looking at same repo simultaneously?
I am using Eclipse to work on Android java projects on a Windows 7 machine. I am using Git to version-track, back up, and share.
- Git gui mergetool TortoiseMerge wrong file path
- GitGui on Windows: Show empty directories
- Did Apple remove the 'git gui' command in XCode 4.5 command line tools?
- git-gui: Moving keyboard focus to “changed files”
- Getting Git GUI to Ignore Space Changes in its diff View
- Using Git Gui Windows - How do you save user credentials - Username and Password
Is it safe and/or will my tools (gui, bash, eclipse) work right if I have them all open and looking at the same git repo at the same time?
I ask this because I have had eclipse fail to do a checkin a few times, and one time in git gui when it was barfing I got brave/stupid and hit the “unlock git index” choice. Since I did that unlock, none of my git clients have complained. But the suggestion that there IS a lock and that I “manually” unlocked it has me afraid that I have opened the door to non-thread safe crashes in my git repos.
One Solution collect form web for “Can I have git gui and git bash and eclipse git plugin looking at same repo simultaneously?”
Yes, it is safe. The index lock is something that is normally only intended to be held while an operation is in progress (e.g. while a commit is being created or a merge is being handled).
If you have to manually unlock the index it probably means one of your Git clients crashed/errored while it was doing one of those operations and thus accidentally left it locked.