Can I add a git release as a submodule?
I have binary files in a github release tag, which I think is not cloneable. In another git repo I’d like to add these binary files (they are like dependencies) as a submodule, so that they can get updated easily. I dont want to submit binaries to the first repository if possible.
How do I do this?
- Create GIT tags inside Bamboo
- How do I create tag with certain commits and push it to origin?
- How to install a tagged commit from a local Git repository using Composer?
- Find more recent commit pointed a tag in all branch
- Can git list the tags that occur between two particular commits?
- Does maven-release-plugin push tags to remote Git repository?
One Solution collect form web for “Can I add a git release as a submodule?”
From what I understand, git releases are completely separate from a regular git repo, so your other git repo cannot directly reference them.
All you could do is version a script able to get the releases from the first repo at the right tag, using the GitHub API for Releases.