Annexed submodules in git
I’d like to keep some binary files (documentation, executable binary files, images, etc) in a
git-annex, and then include them in several projects as
git-submodules. I think this will allow me to keep track of the correct versions of these large files as they change, keeping old projects linked to the old versions and new projects to the new versions.
So I make the following repo for my big files:
mkdir annexedrepo cd annexedrepo cp big_files annexedrepo/ git init git annex init git annex add .
and then go to my project repo and add them as a submodule.
cd ../otherrepo mkdir data git submodule add ../annexedrepo data/annexed
I’d love if these would just appear as symlinks to the correct files in the other repo. But I guess it’s good enough if I can just make the copies as I need them with:
git annex get data/annexed
This copies the files over – I can see them in
otherrepo/.git/module/data/annexed/objects/. But when I do this, the annexed files are just dead symlinks. I can list them with
ls data/annexed/, but nobody’s home.
Am I trying to do something wrongheaded? Is there a way to fix this? Are these bugs in either
git-annex? Thanks for your help!
2 Solutions collect form web for “Annexed submodules in git”
I am using the same source tree structure and also tried to use
git-annex but met the same problem. I found out the
git-fat extension can be used instead of
git-annex and has no such an issue. So my source tree looks like this:
/project .git .gitmodules ... <project files and folders> ... submodule .git .gitattributes .gitfat ... <binary files> ...
To clone such a project
git clone git://... project cd project git submodule init git submodule update cd submodule git fat init git fat pull
rsync to push/pull files. See more about git-fat.
Well, with a bit of fiddling, I’ve found a work-around. I’d love to see something better, though. Posting this for posterity, but I’m hoping to find a better solution.
data/annexed, there is a file,
.git, which contains a reference to
../../.git/module/data/annexed/. I removed this file and replaced it with a symlink to the same location. I now have access to
../annexedrepo/ from inside
data/annexed, and my files are at the right version. I’m a bit worried about causing future problems with this workaround…